Friday, February 9, 2007

Journal #2

"Song at Midnight" by Lucille Clifton
Contemporary Poet:
S: a big woman
O: a woman has felt unloved for a long time
A: Men, maybe black because it says brothers
P: To say there is more to a woman than appearance
S: Men should love all woman
Tone: asking a question, proving a point

In reading this poem the first time I did not quite understand what the poem was saying so I had to read the poem a couple of times to understand the poem. The poem basically just tells men that there is more to woman than just looks and they should love all women no matter what their size is. I think it also asks men to love big woman because if they don't then nobody else will. I like the way this author uses her choice of words, it is very short but it still has a lot of information in it. The author chose words that give the reader a very vivid picture of what the character in the story is going through. The author also raised a question in the poem of "Who will hold her, who will find her beautiful if you do not?" I think that this question is true because if someone is always told that they are beautiful in public then other people will notice the beauty in a woman. Because her beauty is verbally expressed other people will begin to notice the beauty they had not seen before. It's sort of life an ad in a magazine where they have models and somebody says "Ooh! She look good." Then a whole bunch of people look at the picture and nod there head in approval.






“I Do” by Ramon Meacham
I do
I love this woman
With her voluptuous curves
That rock like the sea
Her voice
So sweet and soft.
She is
My plump melon
But far more sweet
I do
I do hold her,
I do find her beautiful
And so will you

No comments: