Friday, February 23, 2007

Week 4 Journal

“The Computation” by John Donne

S: Grieving man
O: Lover has left him and he misses his love
A: People that have lost a loved one
P: To show how he feels alone now
S: A man’s wife has died
Tone: grieving, mad, sad, longing

Contemporary Response:

John Donne does a good job with expressing the feelings of the character in his poem. The reader can tell that the character’s lover has died and that he wants the person to come back. In my response poem I tried to some from the perspective of the person that has died. I talked as the ghost, which is also answering the question on the last poem of “can ghost die?” Also, I tried to use the same diction and old word choice that Donne has used in his poem. In this poem I really liked hoe he played with a little repetition and rhyme in a couple of lines, which I also included in my response poem.

For the last 60 years since yesterday
I see that thou has lost their way
Though I have left, I have not
And it seems that thou has forgot
At night, tears drown thy face and I wish
To come back and plant one last kiss
To come back and be thy niche
But I cannot so grant me this
Wipe thy eyes and carry me in they heart
Ghosts never die and we will never part

No comments: